Saturday, June 8, 2013

cover up!

Dear Young Woman in the Kroger parking lot who changed her shirt next to our van - please don't.

My young impressionable boys were in that van.  I have a 12 year old who is becoming an adolescent.  Must you make it more difficult for him?  I am trying my best to shield them from things they are too young to handle and shouldn't be exposed to.  I realize that they will be bombarded with immodesty in public.  But really?  Changing your shirt in your vehicle?  In the Kroger parking lot?  Next time, leave the pjs at home and go out in public properly clothed.
That's all.

- concerned mom


In this world we live in, I see that modesty has flown out the window.  Men, women, boys, and girls alike are going out in public in such a state of undress.  Almost every time I go into the store I see someone in their pajamas.  Is it that much of an effort to change your clothes?  I make sure that my 1 year old is dressed every day for just hanging around the house - and a 20 year old is in the grocery store in the clothes she slept in?
It's a sad, sad society.
And that's not even half of it.  Not only does this young lady feel that it is ok to change her shirt in public, most feel it is all right to dress in clothing that doesn't cover much more than underwear.  Or that it is cool to let their underwear show.  When I was young, we told our friends when their bra strap was showing.  Now you don't even have to wonder what color a young girl's bra is.  I guess it's even the fashion to wear clothes that show it off.  Or the guys that let their boxers show.  Tsk, tsk.  Some of us know where that came from and it's not a good thing.  Or the short shorts, mini skirts, peek-a-boo blouses...you get the idea.  It's no wonder that there is so much promiscuity in teenagers today.  There is no waiting, no mystery, no modesty, no purity.  Sexually transmitted diseases, abortions, and heartache abound.  Where will it all end?

Well, I highly doubt that the girl at Kroger today will ever see or read this, but I feel better getting it off my chest.

Until next time...

JenT

3 comments:

Kat said...

When I was younger it was embarrassing to have someone see your nakedness or under clothes. Remember that unpleasant schoolyard taunt? I see Paris. I see France. I see your underpants. With three young men entering adolescence I share your woes. Unfortunately I don't suspect it will change. I think you hit the nail on the head, though. You make sure your one year old dresses properly. Somewhere down the line parents stopped caring how their children presented themselves. Those kids then took their cues from media and now they are the new generation of adults. Sad.

Betsy said...

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Thank you for this post. I wish it could be pinned on every locker of every Jr. high and High School.
Blessings,
Betsy

Robert Darin said...

I couldn't agree more. Sadly, I've even seen this sort of stuff driving down the highway.

If I learned anything in my life, it that you can't "unsee" something.