Thursday, January 30, 2014

"secular" list of homeschool curriculum

 Disclaimer:  I have do not know anything about these curriculum choices.  I do not agree with using K-12 because it is just an extension of public school.  However; there are some people that do not want to use a "Christian" curriculum and yet want to homeschool their children.  I would not ever want to discourage that.  So here is a list that I borrowed from a fellow homeschool mom on Facebook.  I tried to post it to a page there and after much trial and tribulation I think I managed to get it on there.  But just in case it doesn't work, I'm posting here and will share the link on FB.

Here goes:

All in One:
Moving Beyond the Page
Oak Meadow
K-12
Calvert
Build Your Library

Grammar:
Easy Grammar
Daily Oral Language Carson-Dellosa
Daily Grams
Wordly Wise
Growing with Grammar
Michael Clay Thompson

Spelling:
All About Spelling
Sequential Spelling
Soaring with Spelling
Spectrum Spelling
Spelling Power

Reading:
All About Reading
Hooked on Phonics
Spectrum Reading
Explode the Code
Wordly Wise
McRuffy

Writing:
Winning with Writing
BraveWriter
Michael Clay Thomas
Spectrum Writing
McRuffy

Science:
Focus on Science
Interactive Science by Pearson
Reading about Science
R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey:
Life Science
Earth and Space
Chemistry
Elemental Science
Supercharged Science
Exploration Education
Joy Hakim Story of Science
Science Fusion
McRuffy

Mathematics: (method type, S:Spiral, M:Mastery)
Singapore math
Math Mammoth
Mathematics Enhancement Programme MEP
Critical Thinking Company Mathematical Reasoning
Math-U-See
ALEKS Math (M)
Calvert Math
Saxon Math
Beast Academy
McRuffy

History:
Pearson Learning/Core Knowledge
History Odyssey
History of US by Joy Hakim
Mosaic History
The Story of the World


Also!  I am in no way, nor ever will be a supporter of the Common Core.  If these are aligned with it or whatever I have no idea.  Do your own research, these are just a guideline.

Now if you want a list of Christian curriculum, let me know and I can write another post.  I can also provide a list of which curriculum are aligned with CC or will be changing to align with it, or do not plan to align with it.  In fact, I think I'll do just that.  Watch for a future post on Christian curriculum and CC alignment. :)


Until next time...


JenT

2 comments:

A Joyful Chaos said...

I'm always on the lookout for more Christian homeschool books. I have been working on planning our next year of school even though it's way early to be doing that, any recommendations and links would be appreciated. Also any advice on highschool, can't believe we'll be starting that already. These past eight years went by so fast!

Kat said...

I see you include Easy Grammar over here. Thanks for taking the time to reach out to other home school moms. Many people get so busy with their home school they forget that oh so important directive in scripture to teach the younger women. Not that we are the older women, mind you.