Thursday, March 6, 2014

local homeschool conference and chess

I love the fact that we are having a homeschool conference in my town.  I've lamented not being able to attend one in all the years I've been homeschooling.  There was always too much expense involved for the whole family to attend, or it was not a good time for me to be away from home.

So when I found out Appalachian Home Educators was holding a conference I got very excited.  I volunteered right away, then volunteered my two oldest girls. :)

Now more excitement for more than just me.  They are going to hold a chess tournament!!

 (When pieces go missing, improvise with Lego people).

My kids have been playing chess for several years now.  They started at a much younger age than I did.  When I was a teenager, a cousin of mine and I came across an old chess set at our great-grandmother's old house.  We asked if we could have it and that summer we taught ourselves how to play.  It's fun and educational!  lol  Of course I would have to say that.



Anyway, if you are planning on attending the conference, don't forget to sign up for the chess tournament.  I have 2 or 3 that plan to sign up.  There are two age categories; primary (5-9) and youth (10-18).  The only thing they need to know is how to play chess.  And if they don't know and are wanting to learn, now is a good time!  You have until June 24th to register.  Of course the earlier, the better price you pay.



The Appalachian Home Educators Conference is June 26th-28th, 2014.  Don't miss it!!!

Until next time...


 JenT

No comments: