Sunday, January 31, 2010

Island Chicken - YUM!

Yum...we just had the most delicious meal today. I didn't think to get a picture until it was all gone. It's called Island Chicken and I got the recipe from a girl we knew in Japan. I adapted it a little; she used drumsticks, but I had some breasts in the freezer.

Island Chicken

1 Tbsp cornstarch
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 tsp ginger, ground
1 clove garlic, chopped
1/2 c. soy sauce
1 Tbsp oil
1 Tbsp vinegar
1 green pepper, sliced
1 large can pineapple chunks, drained
1 onion, sliced thinly
3lbs chicken (I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts)

Start the chicken in the crock-pot, add in the onion, peppers, and pineapple. Mix up the first 7 ingredients and pour over chicken, peppers, onions, and pineapple. After the chicken was done, I took out a breast at a time and shredded it up with a couple of forks on a plate. (It was hot, I had to work with what I had :) ). I put the chicken back in the crock-pot and cooked it a while longer; about a couple of hours. Then I served it over brown rice. It's our new favorite chicken dish!

I hope you try this and enjoy!

Just so you know, to feed our family, I doubled EVERYTHING! I had a package of chicken that was about 6 lbs and just doubled the rest to match.


Until next time...

3 comments:

He & Me + 3 said...

Wow...6 lbs of chicken. That does sound good. I love using the crock pot.

Mikki said...

YUMO!! That looks like it would be delicious. Thanks for sharing!

Jenny B said...

Thanks for the recipe Jen...I'll have to try this! We usually use bonless thighs...cheaper than breasts usually...Aldi has them under $6 for a big bag:)