Tuesday, April 14, 2009

More Controversial Subjects

Some interesting questions came up when I posted my view on Easter.













We also don't do Santa or the toothfairy (I totally forgot about that little tradition). We spent a few Christmases by ourselves or with other families that don't "do" Christmas, but since some of my family moved close by, we spent Christmas with them a couple of times. By not "doing" Christmas I mean we don't do the tree or stockings or decorate or anything really. We used to in the beginning of our marriage, but studying things out made us quit. I don't want to make this a long post, so if you want to research it the internet has a plethora of information on the subject. A good place to start is here. A good short article on the history of Christmas can be found here. Here and here are a couple of links that compares Jesus Christ to Santa Claus. Scary? I also know the story of St. Nicholas who was actually a real person. I wonder what he thinks about the figure known as Santa Claus? And that some people believe it to be modeled after him?

Another good comment mentioned the fact that we worship on Sunday instead of the Sabbath (Saturday). Well, technically, our family can't be accused of that since we don't go to a traditional church. :) We meet with other believers whenever we can, and sometimes that is in the middle of the week. I believe that was the way the 1st century Christians did it. They were being persecuted, so they didn't exactly advertise where they would be meeting next.

I could get into a really long discussion on holidays vs holy days, but I'll leave that to others.

Just so you know, we don't go around telling everyone that they are wrong to celebrate these days. In this country, we have the freedom to "esteem one day above another". One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. (Rom 14:5 ) We visit family when they are celebrating and don't go around preaching at them with a sour face, being holier-than-thou. By the same token, we would like to have the freedom to NOT celebrate certain days. If anyone asked us, we simply state that we don't do those things and leave it at that. We don't use that as an opening to blast them with our beliefs and say that they are less of a Christian than us because they do those things. (If I came across that way in my original post, I certainly apologize). If they honestly want to know why we don't celebrate, I would give them the information we've found, and let them decide for themselves.

And if someone argues that I put this on a public forum, well, it's my personal website and I said that I would be writing down some of my thoughts. These are my thoughts. Thank you very much. :)

Everyone is growing and learning new things throughout their life. My question is: Does what you do glorify Christ? I myself fall short so many times. It is a lesson I learn daily, moment by moment. If you think I'm wrong the best thing you can do is pray for me.

I must ask, please don't make this a flaming, YELLING discussion. I welcome comments, but keep it nice and clean. Please.

Until next time...


1 comment:

He & Me + 3 said...

I think you handled this very well and I plan to research these links. Thanks so much for sharing.