Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Book Review - Chasing Charity

Chasing Charity


Chasing Charity by Marcia Gruver

Publication date: 4-1-09

When, in full view of family and friends, Charity Bloom's fiance leaves her stranded at the altar, she is humiliated. How will this raven-haired beauty recover? When roughneck Buddy Pierce finds oil on Charity's land, he hopes to free the Blooms from their povery-stricken state. But will Buddy find the real treasure lies in Charity herself? Ruing the day he jilted Charity, Daniel Clark is determined to regain her heart. But can he remove the three things that stand in his way--a manipulative mama, a spurned lover, and the stranger knee-deep in black oil?

Let me tell you, I haven't enjoyed a book so much in a long time. I think I read it in two sittings. (Thankfully Sunday was our lazy day and I had time to do it).

I'm pretty sure I haven't read anything by this author. She is definitely one to watch for. This book, Chasing Charity is actually book 2 in a series, but you don't have to read the first one. This is a stand-alone book. And, boy, does it have the strength to stand. The characters are...well, some of them are real characters if you know what I mean. Charity is a likable heroine; she cares for her mother and tries to protect her from the oilmen. Charity does not welcome them to her town, especially when they relocate her widowed mother and her, to drill for oil in their backyard. The only person willing to take them in is the mother of her former best friend, Emily Dane (the one for which her fiance left her at the altar). I liked the relationship between Mother Dane and Mrs. Bloom. They were true friends. Mrs. Bloom was a little colorful, not the average middle-aged mother. Most folks in town avoided her, tolerated her, or talked about her, calling her crazy. She wasn't crazy, but it gives the story a little bit of pep. Buddy Pierce is the boy you want to take home to mother. He's a good Christian boy; he even still blushes. He takes care of Charity when she determines to strike out on her own and even does it in a way to make it acceptable. I like the fact that their relationship is pretty much platonic. I guess I like the stories where the hero and heroine are friends before they fall in love. When the conflict comes, the story goes back and forth between the different characters in such a way that you keep reading and don't want to put the book down. You just have to find out what happens. (That's what happened to me). I was disappointed in how Buddy gave up so easily at one point, but as I kept reading I realized it had to happen that way to make the plot flow smoothly. I won't spoil the ending for you, I'll close by saying that if you like Christian Historical romances, this is the book for you. It's not a heavy read but it has enough substance to make you think. I think it's perfect for spring - light, but not fluffy.

Available 4-1-09, you can pre-order it here.

Until next time...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

JenT,

Well, goodness! I'm thrilled by your opinion of Chasing Charity. It makes the task of writing the sequel much easier today.

Thank you for your generous review!

Marcia

Elizabeth Ludwig said...

I couldn't agree more, JENT. I loved this book from beginning to end, and I can't wait for the sequel!