Saturday, March 7, 2009

A Dream Come True

[show+and+tell.gif]


Kim over at Homesteader's Heart hosts Show and Tell Saturdays. This week is about our favorite vacation.

Have you ever wanted to do something, but thought in the back of your mind that it would never happen? That's me. There are some places in the world I really want to visit and have wanted to visit for a long time...like almost my whole life. I think I was about 12 or 13 when I read about Cafe du Monde in New Orleans. And beignets (pronounced ben-yays if anyone doesn't know). Oh...yum. There are other places; Amish country in PA, Montana, the British Isles, Australia. And since I now got to visit the French Quarter in New Orleans, I have hope that I might actually get to see those other places too. Maybe. Someday.

Well, here I am, enjoying my favorite vacation (so far).

At the Cafe du Monde waiting for our beignets (and feeding the baby at the time). I didn't get a picture of me eating them. They get pretty messy. Powdered sugar.




















The girls enjoying their beignets...like I said, messy.


















The kids by Andrew Jackson's statue in Jackson Square. The kids in red are mine, the others belong to the friends we stayed with. And this was not all of them. We had 8 at the time, they had 6. The others are just not in the picture.
















One of the street artists. Yes, the guy is alive, spray painted silver, and holding a ferret.
















Some of the kids acting silly under one of their big trees down there.
















The tree from a distance. Notice how that one branch goes to the ground? I thought that was so neat. (I'm easily entertained and impressed).
















Well, there's lots more pictures, but I don't want to bore you. If you've never been to New Orleans you're missing out. If you go, you have to have the beignets. I mean, that's the whole point of going, right?

Just a note. We did go during Mardi Gras last year, but we are not the Mardi Gras type of people. My husband was working with a guy down there and that was why we went.

Oh and another thing to try is a King Cake. Yum, again. And if you know the history/tradition of the King Cake - my oldest son found the baby when our friends bought the first King Cake. :)

4 comments:

Sweet Blessings said...

How fun! 9 children-wow-how wonderful! Happy Saturday! Amanda

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

That sounds like so much fun. And you didn't pick Disney like the others! LOL. Thanks for joining in my friend.
Blessings to you!!!
Kim

Unknown said...

What a great trip! Love those pics and I know I would enjoy the beignets! Funny that you mentioned going to Montana - that's where I grew up!

Kim @ Homesteader's Heart said...

Hey I was wondering if you would like to pick the next theme for Show and Tell Saturday. You don't necessarily have to participate but I usually pick someone who did last week to pick this weeks. Let me know okay?
Thanks a bunch.
Kim