Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Book Review - Stand-In Groom

Stand-In Groom


Stand-In Groom
Brides of Bonneterre Book 1
by Kaye Dacus

When wedding planner Anne Hawthorne meets George Laurence, she thinks she's found the man of her dreams. But when he turns out to be a client, her "dream" quickly turns into a nightmare. Will Anne risk her heart and her career on this engaging Englishman? George came to Louisiana to plan his employer's wedding and pose as the groom. But how can he feign affection for a supposed fiance when he's so achingly attracted to the wedding planner? And what will happen when Anne discovers his role has been
Stand-In Groom only? Will she ever trust George again? Can God help these two believers find a happy ending?

I really enjoyed this book. In fact, if I had had the time I would not have stopped reading it for anything. It is a book I could have easily read in one sitting. But being a busy mom of 9, I have to squeeze in my reading time whenever I can. I definitely look forward to reading more books by Ms. Dacus. The characters were very realistic. Anne isn't some petite, pencil-thin, never-has-to-diet heroine. She has issues with an ex-fiance. She has fears. And that makes her more likable. In my personal opinion, a good author makes you want to be the heroine. Or if not actually be her, then do what she does. Seriously, for a while there, I wanted to go out and be a wedding planner. She makes it sound so fun! And George. Well, any man who can croon like Dean Martin...and that's all I'm going to say on that subject. I can just imagine his accent. That's how well Ms. Dacus wrote his character. I can clearly hear in my head what he sounds like, just by what is written. He is sooo British. He's not perfect, though. He has his own faults. He is loyal to his employer and it eventually causes trouble between Anne and him. It makes the reader really torn on who to root for. You can see both sides of the story and understand why the characters do what they do. I think this is a very well-written book and I am anxiously awaiting the rest of the series.

If you would like to pick up a copy of your own, use the search engine on the right sidebar. It will take you directly to the page on CBD's website.

Until next time...




1 comment:

Arlene said...

One of my blog friends just reviewed this book recently and gave it positive reviews, too. I'll definitely be on the lookout for it at the library!